The Shepherd and The Sheepcote

"When dusk falls, shepherds lead their sheep to a safe place to spend the night, where wolves or other predators cannot prey on the sleeping sheep. Usually the shepherd builds a stone enclosure with a small opening and he calls the sheep one by one into the sheepcote for the night. When all the sheep are safely inside the sheepfold, he will lie down in the opening so that nothing can come in the only door to harm the sheep.



The Shepherd always protects The Sheep!"

Monday, November 8, 2010

MAKE HAY...I MEAN DYE WOOL WHEN THE SUN SHINES

We have had the most wonderful fall making it seem like summer is taking forever to come to a close...which is great as winter will then seem shorter but then rather than get into the hibernation mode we just keep doing more things outside.  I am getting tired but will just keep pushing on as I know that winter will appear one of these days.
I have a wonderful friend Karen R. that is an expert in natural dyeing and if you can ever take one of her classes, I am sure you will enjoy it.  She teaches at several venues in the state so you may get that opportunity.  I even had a natural dyeing day at the farm a couple of years ago and as anxious as I get over "entertaining" she helps keep it real and natural.  Thank God.
I also do fiber dyeing with koolaid when the grandkids around especially as it is safer.  As my little honeys are becoming older we have switched to doing some acid dyeing when we have some time together at the farm and we are not petting sheep and cats at the same time...love that multitasking!
My grandson has become a tall young man and is able to capture the sheep with my encouragement and hold him while I snap a photo or two.
I love getting the kids to the farm so they get a chance to keep in touch with animals and nature.
The littlest granddaughter has become old enough to climb on the fence as you can see her tennies and legs in the photo.
The last time I did a lot of dyeing however my sister was here from Wisconsin and we dyed lots of colors to use in yarn and fiber art.  Such pleasant surprises to see all the beautiful colors.
 Lots of color for fall and winter projects.  I do vending at several craft events and was at one in Hutchinson this last weekend and have one in Howard Lake and one in Delano coming up in the next few weeks.  Stop in and say hi if you know of these and are in the area.

2 comments:

  1. Tell me where these events are! They aren't too far for me, and I'd love to see what you craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to know when these events are too! Now that I'm finished teaching stuff for this year, I look forward to just hanging around on the 27th to visit the sheep and pick your brain for some "how do you do that" info. After all, Pam is my spinning guru and I need all the help I can get! (Thanks for the plug, by the way)

    Karen R

    ReplyDelete