The Shepherd and The Sheepcote

"When dusk falls, shepherds lead their sheep to a safe place to spend the night, where wolves or other predators cannot prey on the sleeping sheep. Usually the shepherd builds a stone enclosure with a small opening and he calls the sheep one by one into the sheepcote for the night. When all the sheep are safely inside the sheepfold, he will lie down in the opening so that nothing can come in the only door to harm the sheep.



The Shepherd always protects The Sheep!"

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Bowling anyone?

I have recently been spinning some really super bulky/chunky wool for some neckwarmers that i would like to make.  I knit a lot with multiple strands to get thickness but this time I am going to try it with chunky two-ply. 

I was using just the natural colors from the sheep.  I put the pop can in the pic so you get the idea of the size of these balls of single ply.  My husband asked what I was going to do with those?  "ply them together, what else?"  I was able to get such a large amount by spinning the singles on my Ashford Country spinner and then I plied them together on that large wheel.


So I finished them off on the niddy noddy, gave them a wash to set the twist and they end up like this.

Color gets kind of washed out because of the flash.  I can hardly wait for them to finish drying to see if I can actually make something attractive from this yarn. 

We have three more shows to do with the one at North Branch, Mn in little more than a week and then the first Sat. in Dec. is the old-fashioned Christmas festival in Delano, Mn and also the annual Shepherds' Holiday meeting for the Minnesota Lamb and Wool Producers organization down in Mankato.  Since I cannot be two places at once... tried that the other day and the water that was running in the bathroom sink commenced to run out the sink and all over the floor!.... my sister will be the vendor at Delano.  We had a very nice sale at Dassel-Cokato and this will be her first sale without me along and I know she will do just fine as she knits most of the items anyway and what wonderful things she knits.  Hope to see you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see what you are up to. You and your sister have a good thing going there.

    ReplyDelete