The Shepherd and The Sheepcote

"When dusk falls, shepherds lead their sheep to a safe place to spend the night, where wolves or other predators cannot prey on the sleeping sheep. Usually the shepherd builds a stone enclosure with a small opening and he calls the sheep one by one into the sheepcote for the night. When all the sheep are safely inside the sheepfold, he will lie down in the opening so that nothing can come in the only door to harm the sheep.



The Shepherd always protects The Sheep!"

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

SHETLAND LAMBS

Since I have been slow at getting my blog started I will look back at pictures I have taken of the lambs that we had born on the farm in late May and early June.  I was soooo sloowww at getting any breeding pens together last year and it finally happened in late December!  Oh my.  I have a habit of pushing fall as much as I can until all the cold and snow says "STOP" and then I am running behind on something else!  Oh life! Gotta love it!

This is a morrit wether that went out to be a fiber pet at a farm near Litchfield,Mn.  Righ behind him is our "little holstein cow" at least that is what she has been called since I don't have the naming convention down on these shetland colors and patterns.  Can someone help me with what her description would be?


My friend Deann who took the wether, took the picture of me with the ewes and lambs in the barnyard a few months ago.  Seems to me when I look at the picture that the ram lambs are the friendliest or is it nosiest?  Very sweet sheep and one of my favorite pictures.  We still have most of our lambs for sale.  They are all hanging out in the shed today on this miserable rainy day.

 I had a nice phone call from Kelly yesterday asking to purchase the Ashford Traditional spinning wheel that I listed in the previous post, so it is considered sold. 
I also have the jumbo flyer unit available for sale with (3) bobbins for the traditional wheel for $125.
Ashford finally came out with a larger bobbin and winder unit for the Joy wheel which travels with me almost everywhere and I have lamented the fact that the bobbins are so small and when you ply the two together you get a small skein so since I have the traditional wheel I purchased the jumbo flyer unit for it and then I plyed my singles off the lazy kate of the joy onto the flyer of the traditional.  A process but it worked.  Now however I no longer need to do that.  You can email me at thesheepcote@ll.net if you would like pictures of the flyer unit or of course of our wonderful sheep.
See ya chickies!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pam
    did my first comment get lost? Delete it if I repeat myself. I said: great picture of you with the lambs! And you seem to have most colors and patterns of Shetlands there! Your holstein cow lamb would be black (or is she now gray?) yuglet (eye rings) sokket (white legs). Unless she has more white on her body than I see, in which case she's flecket-- gray or black!

    ReplyDelete